Background: The European Smart City Robotics Competition, held annually in Milton Keynes, attracts innovators from all over Europe, showcasing the latest advancements in robotic solutions for urban environments. The competition aims to highlight robots that can improve city living, from easing transportation to providing better public services. In 2023, the robot “Temi” participated, aiming to showcase its capability as a multifunctional assistant for urban citizens.
Objective: Demonstrate how Temi can be integrated into smart cities, focusing on enhancing urban living, aiding elderly citizens, and serving as an information kiosk.
- Integrating with a variety of smart city technologies.
- Navigating crowded urban areas safely and effectively.
- Ensuring real-time, accurate information dissemination.
- Integration with City Systems: Temi was integrated with Milton Keynes’ Smart City infrastructure, allowing it to access real-time data on public transport, local events, and essential services.
- Elderly Assistance: Using facial recognition, Temi identified elderly citizens and offered assistance, such as carrying groceries, providing navigation to destinations, or offering video calls to family members.
- Information Kiosk: Temi was stationed at busy junctions where it provided real-time data on transportation, weather, and local news. Tourists could also access guided tour information.
- Public Reception: The public was fascinated with Temi’s capabilities. Its user-friendly interface made it easy for people of all ages to interact with it.
- Safety: Temi’s obstacle avoidance system and real-time traffic integration ensured it navigated crowded areas without any incidents.
- Elderly Assistance: The feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Elderly citizens appreciated the assistance, and many felt more connected, especially with the video calling feature.
- Information Dissemination: Tourists and locals were able to get accurate, real-time information, enhancing their city experience.
Conclusion: Temi’s participation in the European Smart City Robotics Competition showcased its potential as a valuable asset for urban environments. With the correct integrations and applications, robots like Temi can significantly enhance the quality of life in urban settings, offering assistance, information, and connectivity.
- Further collaboration between Temi’s developers and smart city planners can lead to more comprehensive integrations.
- Expand the range of services Temi provides, such as first aid assistance or real-time pollution data.
- Encourage private businesses, such as cafes and shops, to utilize Temi as an interactive guide or assistant.